At its Board meeting on 8 December 2008 the Fitzroy Football Club directors unanimously agreed to a merger agreement with Fitzroy Reds Football Club Inc. Pursuant to the agreement five Fitzroy FFC directors resigned and were replaced by five committee members from Fitzroy Reds
Key components of the merger include:
- The Club will be known as Fitzroy Football Club Ltd incorporating Fitzroy Reds. (for the purpose of this memo referred to as “the Club”).
- The football teams under the management of the Club will be known as “Fitzroy”
- The home ground of Fitzroy will be the Brunswick Street Oval.
- Fitzroy will wear essentially the same jumper, shorts and socks as was worn by Fitzroy in 1996.
- The Club theme song will be the same as was sung in 1996.